POSTED ON March 25, 2022
Relational Program Coordinator & Administrative Assistant For Adult Engagement & Center for Exploring Judaism
Central Synagogue is a thriving reform congregation in midtown Manhattan, serving 2,500 families and the larger community. We work towards a world in which Judaism is central to our lives and is a profound and positive force for humanity. We are constantly evolving as we pursue that goal. Together, we learn, worship, serve and continually redefine what it means to be Jewish today, both within our community and far beyond our walls. We do this through our programmatic areas of focus: Worship/Holidays/Music; Pastoral Care/Lifecycles; Adult Engagement; Youth and Family Engagement and Social Justice. For more information about our organization visit www.centralsynagogue.org.
Who We Are:
Our Adult Engagement Department offers a wide range of educational, cultural, and social opportunities for our adult members, with a goal of creating a greater understanding and connection to Jewish tradition and fostering deep and meaningful relationships within our congregation. The successful candidate will work with the Director of Congregational Engagement, who collaborates with lay leaders and staff on the relational priorities of our congregational community. The Center for Exploring Judaism (CEJ) welcomes adult learners seeking connection to Jewish tradition and life, and also supports and counsels students on the path to conversion. In this Department the candidate will work with the Director of the Center for Exploring Judaism, (CEJ).
The Relational Program Coordinator & Administrative Assistant will support and create programming for lay-led affinity groups to support Central’s efforts to create a deeper sense of community. They will be a front-line representative for Adult Engagement and CEJ, as well as providing individual administrative support to the Director of the Center for Exploring Judaism (CEJ), the Director for Adult Education, and the Director of Congregational Engagement. Working alongside the Adult Engagement Program Managers, this person will provide assistance and support of Adult Engagement and CEJ programming, as well as ensuring the smooth operation of the departments’ basic functions.
Start Date: April 2022
Full-time, FLSA classification (Non-exempt and eligible for OT)
Monday – Thursday 9:30 am to 5:30 pm; Fridays 8:30 am – 4:30 pm and or equivalent
Support for CORE and Affinity Groups
- Support lay leaders of our CORE Groups and maintain our GroupVitals registration site. Field questions from members interested in forming new groups, and assist with organizing group leader training, Shabbat dinners, and other events.
- Work with Program Managers to create and promote programming for identity and affinity groups, including Chai Connections (for ages 70+), LGBTQ Group, Jews of Color, and CenSyngles (for single members in their 50s and 60s).
Administrative Support to the Adult Engagement Department
ollaborate with Rabbis and Program Managers and assist with various administrative tasks
- Manage Adult Engagement Email Box.
- Assist with pre-program and onsite logistics for Adult Engagement programs.
- Assist with coordinating schedules and calendars for Directors of Congregational Engagement and Adult Education.
- Manage meeting logistics: location, reservations, requirements, travel, invitations, rsvps, etc.
- Manage financials: payroll, reimbursements, check requests, Amex reconciliation.
- Miscellaneous administrative support- photocopying, updating of databases, etc.
Provide Administrative Support to the Director of the Center for Exploring Judaism
- Preparation for all classes: namecards, rosters, photocopies, sign up schedules, copies, room reservations.
- Contracts for Teachers.
- Communication with potential students.
- Planning Shabbat Dinners and other in-person events in conjunction with Events staff.
- Managing registration
- Schedule, paperwork, and follow-up with regards to conversions including coordinating with clergy team
- Assisting the CEJ teachers with various administrative tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a “customer service” mindset.
- Attention to detail.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Takes initiative
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 1-2 years’ experience in project management and administration.
- Successful candidate must possess the ability to interpret and translate synagogue policy and procedure clearly to members, in a personable and patient manner.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Microsoft word, excel, outlook, PowerPoint and database skills are a must. Preferred knowledge of Zoom and Microsoft Teams a strong plus.
- Knowledge of Salesforce a strong plus.
- Attention to detail and the ability to keep up with data entry are essential.
- Ability to anticipate upcoming needs and act with efficiency.
- Ability to set and re-set priorities and multi-task effectively and independently in a fast-paced, team oriented work environment.
- Knowledge of synagogue life and Jewish ritual practice desired but not necessary.
Please note the above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, PTO, paid family leave, retirement contribution, and other benefits.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter along with a cover letter and three references to [email protected]. Please reference “Relational Program Coordinator & Administrative Assistant” in the subject line of your email. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.